Saturday, March 28, 2015

First Trimester Must Haves

Now that I'm almost 15 weeks pregnant and can say peace out to the first trimester, I thought I'd share some first trimester must haves.

I had no idea going into pregnancy what to expect, especially because no pregnancy is alike.  So while some of these things didn't make me feel 100% like my old, non-pregnant self, they helped make me feel a little less like death warmed over.

first trimester must haves

1. body pillow
I always assumed uncomfortable sleep was a result of having a big baby belly.  Nope.  I started having issues with uncomfortable sleep around 8-9 weeks.  I'd toss and turn all night, waking up 6-7 times.  But then Brad surprised me with this body pillow for my birthday in January.  I slept like a baby the first few weeks after using the pillow.  Now I'm starting to get hip and shoulder pain at night, but I blame that on our crappy mattress.  Note: the pillow I have is ginormous and takes up at least half of our queen size bed.  I told Brad he'll just have to deal, and that he was the one who purchased the pillow so…

2.  BPA free water bottle
You basically turn into a camel when you're pregnant, well, at least I have.  Pregnant folk are supposed to drink 64 ounces of water a day.  I've used these water bottles for years and love them.  They're 32 oz. bottles so I down two a day.  Sometimes more than two.

3.  prenatal vitamins and prenatal DHA
Gotta start poppin' those pills.  By pills, I mean prenatal vitamins and prenatal DHA.  Personally, I'm taking these prenatal vitamins and prenatal DHA.  But do your own research, talk to your doctor, do what's best for you.  Yada yada yada.  Just make sure you're taking some form of prenatal vitamin.

4.  peppermint tea
Around weeks 6-10 I had some crazy bloat and digestive issues going on.  I'll spare you all the details, but I'd be straight up miserable after dinner.  It got to point where I'd have to eat tiny meals for dinner because if I ate my normal amount of food I'd be in pain for hours after eating.  To help soothe my stomach, I'd drink peppermint tea (naturally caffeine free) like KoolAid.

5. crackers
Thankfully, I didn't have too much nausea and no vomiting.  I'm pretty sure the nugget knows my extreme hatred for vomiting, and I thank it for that.  So I hear regular ole saltine crackers are nauseous mama-to-be's weapon of choice when it comes to combatting nausea.  Keep them next to your bed, in your purse, and hidden throughout your house.  At least that's what I'm told.

6.  peppermints
I used peppermints to combat the little nausea I experienced.  Sucking on a peppermint or two seemed to do the trick for me if I couldn't eat something immediately.

7.  body moisturizer
My motto is always "prevention is key" when it comes to all things skin related.  So invest in a good body moisturizer early on.  There are like 500 different belly butters, belly oils, and belly lotions out there to help prevent stretch marks.  (Although I don't think it's been scientifically proven that they 100% work.)  I've been using this one and I like it so far.  I lather it on at night after I shower.  Since it's an oil, I wouldn't recommend putting on nice clothes after slathering it on because you don't want to stain anything.

8.  antacids
If I eat anything spicy for dinner, I typically have to pop a couple Tums before going to bed because the second I lay down, heartburn starts.  The Tums always work.  At least for now.

9.  stretchy pants
Invest in a few good pairs of stretchy pants.  If you're anything like me, you won't need to buy more because you already have 10+ pairs.  These are my current favorite stretchy pants.  When I'm at home, you better believe I'm in stretchy pants.

10.  toilet paper
Make sure you have plenty of toilet paper on hand because you're going to be using the bathroom more often than you ever thought you would.  I read something about bladder tone decreasing during pregnancy so when you do go to the bathroom you may not be fully emptying your bladder.  Which will explain why you feel like you're going to pee your pants and you barely pee at all.  You're welcome for that short anatomy/physiology lesson.

Disclaimer:  These are products that worked for me.  Every pregnancy is different, so some of these products may not work for you or may not apply to you.  Also, I'm not a medical professional.  So there's that.

What must haves did you need to survive the first trimester of your pregnancy/pregnancies?

Stalk away!



No comments:

Post a Comment